Saturday, May 11, 5 p.m.
The School of Law Commencement ceremony takes place on Lender Court at the People’s United Center on the York Hill Campus, located at 305 Sherman Avenue in Hamden, Connecticut.
Graduates and their guests are invited to a reception immediately following the ceremony.
Jump to a Section
Commencement Day Order of Events
Please keep in mind, several area universities are holding their Commencement ceremonies on the same weekend as Quinnipiac. For this reason, please allow additional travel time when planning your arrival for Commencement.
Doors will open one hour before the start time of the ceremony.
Parking for Commencement will be available at the York Hill Campus parking areas. Public Safety personnel will be on hand to direct guests to the appropriate parking areas, including handicap-accessible parking areas. For handicap-accessible parking information, please see Graduates and Guests with Disabilities.
All candidates for law degrees must report to the floor of the hockey arena at the People’s United Center by 4 p.m. on Saturday, May 11.
The procession will begin 15 minutes prior to the beginning of the ceremony. Ceremony marshals will guide graduates to the appropriate seat row.
- When you get to your seat, please remain standing as the platform participants march to their seats.
- During the invocation, all should stand.
- After the invocation, all are seated, following the example of those on the platform.
- Except for the time when you receive your degree, please remain seated during the ceremony.
Receiving your diploma
- Each group of graduates will be called in order; the marshal will direct the groups to the platform area at the correct time.
- As you approach the platform, please present the card you received during check-in to the associate dean, who will then read your name as you cross the stage.
- You will then move down the stage to the first available faculty member in the hooding area. Please face the crowd and bend your knees as they place the hood over your head.
- You will then continue across the stage and shake the dean’s hand. As you exit the stage, please pause to have your photo taken, and then return to your seat.
- Once the entire group has returned to their seats, the president will announce the conferral of degrees ("By the power vested in me by the Board of Trustees, I hereby confer upon you the degree of...").
- At the ceremony conclusion, you will be invited to move your tassel to the left side of your cap.
When the ceremony concludes, the audience will rise for the benediction. All graduates will remain standing while the platform party exits. Students may keep the academic robe, cap, hood and tassel. They are not to be returned to the bookstore.
The ceremony is expected to last approximately 90 minutes.
Following the ceremony, light snacks and beverages will be served at a reception in the Rocky Top Student Center on the York Hill Campus.
Consistent with university policy, no alcohol may be brought to or consumed on campus during the ceremony. To maintain the dignity of the proceedings, and in recognition of the importance of the day in the lives of our graduates and their families, we ask for your assistance with respect to our alcoholic beverage policy. Thank you for your cooperation.
Hon. Maria Araujo Kahn
The Hon. Maria Araujo Kahn, associate justice of the Connecticut Supreme Court, will address graduates of the School of Law at 5 p.m. on Saturday, May 11.
Caps and Gowns
The deadline to pre-order has passed. If you did not pre-order, you can still select from available stock at the Graduation Station. You’ll need to supply your height and weight to ensure a proper fit.
Cap and gown pick-up will be available at the Graduation Station, which will take place on the following days:
- Monday, April 22, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Piazza, Mount Carmel Campus
- Tuesday, April 23, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Piazza, Mount Carmel Campus
- Wednesday, April 24, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., Multipurpose Room, North Haven Campus
If you are unable to pick up your cap and gown in person at the Graduation Station, someone may do it for you. If you do not pre-order, they will need your height and weight to ensure a proper fit. If you are unable to have your gown picked up at the Graduation Station, please check back for additional pick-up times and locations. Shipping is available after Monday, April 29, by contacting the bookstore at the campus you selected during the order process. Standard shipping (5-7 days) is $7.50 and overnight shipping is $18.
You may keep the academic robe, cap, hood and tassel. They are not to be returned to the bookstore.
Tickets and Announcement Cards
The School of Law Commencement is not ticketed and will have open seating. The ceremony procession will begin 15 minutes prior to the start of the ceremony.
In addition, the ceremony will be simulcast in the hockey arena adjacent to the ceremony site. Tickets are not required for the simulcast in the hockey arena. Both the ceremony and simulcast arenas are in the same building and connected by a common lobby.
Personalized announcement cards can be ordered through Jostens.
Graduates will be able to pick up caps and gowns and speak with staff members involved with planning Commencement while enjoying refreshments and picking up giveaways. If you are unable to attend, someone else may pick up your cap and gown for you. Please see Caps and Gowns for additional info.
Graduation station was held in April.
Graduates and Guests with Disabilities
If you or a member of your party has a disability that requires special parking accommodations, please notify the Public Safety officers when you arrive at the People’s United Center. They will direct you to handicap-accessible parking. Please note, Public Safety also operates golf carts and shuttles to and from the parking area and the arena and reception areas. No advance registration for handicap-accessible parking is required.
Tickets and seating
Handicap-accessible seating will be available. Guests needing accommodation should notify a Commencement staff member on arrival.
A professional photographer will take pictures of each student as the diploma is presented; copies will be available for purchase. You can preregister your own email, or the email of a friend or family member, and you will be contacted as soon as your photos are available for online viewing and ordering.
Ensuring the safety and security of everyone taking part in our Commencement ceremonies at Quinnipiac University is of the utmost importance. To that end, certain items are prohibited at the People’s United Center. No alcoholic beverages, coolers, backpacks, large handbags, metal folding seat cushions, seats that clamp onto bleachers, noisemaking devices, mace or similar substances, signs, sticks or poles or weapons of any type are permitted. Neither graduates nor their guests may bring any of these items into the ceremonies.
Guests will be subject to visual inspection of person, bags and clothing that can conceal prohibited items.
Your cooperation is appreciated.