Jump to a Section
Friday, May 10, 2 p.m.
The Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine Commencement takes place at Lender Court at the People’s United Center on the York Hill Campus, located at 305 Sherman Avenue in Hamden, Connecticut, 06518.
Graduates and their guests are invited to a reception immediately following the ceremony.
Commencement Day Order of Events
Please keep in mind, several area universities are holding their Commencement ceremonies on the same weekend as Quinnipiac. For this reason, please allow additional travel time when planning your arrival for Commencement.
Parking for Commencement will be available at the York Hill Campus parking areas. Public Safety personnel will be on hand to direct guests to the appropriate parking areas including handicap-accessible parking areas.
Doors will open one hour before the start time of the ceremony.
All candidates for medical degrees must report to the floor of the hockey arena at the People’s United Center by 1 p.m. on Friday, May 10.
The procession will begin 15 minutes prior to the beginning of the ceremony. Ceremony marshals will guide graduates to the appropriate seat row.
- When you get to your seat, please remain standing as the faculty and platform participants march to their seats.
- During the invocation, all should stand.
- After the invocation, all are seated, following the example of those on the platform.
- Except for the time when you receive your degree, please remain seated during the ceremony.
Receiving your diploma and your academic hood
- Each group of graduates will be called in order; the marshal will direct the groups to the platform area at the correct time.
- As you approach the platform, please present the card you received during check in to the associate dean, who will then read your name as you cross the stage.
- You will then move down the stage to the first available faculty member in the hooding area. Please face the crowd and bend your knees as they place the hood over your head.
- The dean will shake your right hand as he hands your diploma cover to your left hand.
- You will then continue across the stage. As you exit the stage, please pause to have your photo taken, and then return to your seat.
- Once the entire group has returned to their seats, the president will announce the conferral of degrees ("By the power vested in me by the Board of Trustees, I hereby confer upon you the degree of...").
- At the ceremony conclusion, you will be invited to move your tassel to the left side of your cap.
When the ceremonies are over, the audience will rise for the benediction. All graduates will remain standing while the platform party exits. Students may keep the academic robe, cap, hood and tassel. They are not to be returned to the bookstore.
The ceremony is expected to last approximately 90 minutes.
Following each ceremony, light snacks and beverages will be served at a reception in the Rocky Top Student Center on the York Hill Campus.
Consistent with university policy, no alcohol may be brought to or consumed on campus during the ceremony. To maintain the dignity of the proceedings, and in recognition of the importance of the day in the lives of our graduates and their families, we ask for your assistance with respect to our alcoholic beverage policy. Thank you for your cooperation.
Tickets and Announcement Cards
The Quinnipiac Netter School of Medicine Commencement is not ticketed and will have open seating. The ceremony procession will begin 15 minutes prior to the start of the ceremony.
In addition, the ceremony will be simulcast in the hockey arena adjacent to the ceremony site. Tickets are not required for the simulcast in the hockey arena. Both the ceremony and simulcast arenas are in the same building and connected by a common lobby.
Personalized announcement cards can be ordered through Jostens.
Caps and Gowns
Caps and gowns
Registration for your free cap and gown took place December 3 to January 28.
Cap and gown pick-up will be available at the Commencement Corner, which will take place on Friday, April 5.
You may keep the academic robe, cap, hood and tassel. They are not to be returned to the bookstore.
Graduates will be able to pick up caps and gowns and speak with staff members involved with planning Commencement while enjoying refreshments and picking up giveaways.
Commencement Corner will take place on Friday, April 5, from 10 a.m. to noon.
Graduates and Guests with Disabilities
If you or a member of your party has a disability that requires special parking accommodations, please notify the Public Safety officers when you arrive at the People’s United Center. They will direct you to handicap-accessible parking. Please note, Public Safety also operates golf carts and shuttles to and from the parking area and the arena and reception areas. No advance registration for handicap-accessible parking is required.
Handicap-accessible seating will be available. Guests needing accommodation should notify a Commencement staff member on arrival.
A professional photographer will take pictures of each student as the diploma is presented; copies will be available for purchase. You can preregister your own email, or the email of a friend or family member, and you will be contacted as soon as your photos are available for online viewing and ordering.
A live webcast will be available during the ceremony. Please check back on May 10 for viewing information.
Ensuring the safety and security of everyone taking part in our Commencement ceremonies at Quinnipiac University is of the utmost importance. To that end, certain items are prohibited at the People’s United Center. No alcoholic beverages, coolers, backpacks, large handbags, metal folding seat cushions, seats that clamp onto bleachers, noisemaking devices, mace or similar substances, signs, sticks or poles or weapons of any type are permitted. Neither graduates nor their guests may bring any of these items into the ceremonies.
Guests will be subject to visual inspection of person, bags and clothing that can conceal prohibited items.
Your cooperation is appreciated.